Skip to main content

Wise Words from a Donkey


One of my favorite movie quotes is from Shrek:


"I can't feel my toes!!  I don't have any toes!!

-pause-

I think I need a hug."

(It really just doesn't have the same flair when I type it, but, what're you gonna do...)

The other day was a big rainstorm day.  No matter what I did, I couldn't swallow the tears that kept welling up inside of me.  As most of you know, Noah and I are in Springfield, MO right now for missionary training.  So while the speaker is speaking of reaching indigenous people groups and how to effectively reach them, it might be somewhat appropriate for me to shed a tear or two out of passion for the lost.  And believe me, I was banking on that being my fall-back.  But the few lonely tears started to turn into a flowing mighty river that was getting uncontrollable, and I knew I probably couldn't blend in with the group as we sat there taking notes on how to translate Bible stories.

Noah, being the amazing guy he is, suggested I take the car keys and just go sit by myself for a little while.  I quickly took him up on it, hopped in the car, and let loose.  I wish that meant dancing.  Unfortunately, there was not an ounce of Footloose in the car, just deep heavy sobs and a lot of "whys".

** I want to interrupt myself here and let you guys know that I don't intend to only write posts about the struggles.  My desires are NOT to whine or have you crying out of sympathy or feeling sad when done.  My hope is that I am able to share how AMAZING Jesus is in the midst of pain.  **

Where was I... right.  Ugly crying.  So, there I am, sobbing and just feeling incredibly confused and sad about our K-man.  This went on for about 20 minutes or so, until I could regain my composure.  In the midst of my rainfall I was begging God to tell me why he needed to go back home; why he couldn't have stayed with us.  I completely trust He has a plan, but I really feel like I should be in on it.  It's my life, ya know.  Or is it?

The tears subsided and I sat in silence.  Utter silence.  Somewhat annoyed that I had worn makeup that morning, somewhat frustrated that I didn't hear God's voice.  But I did have peace.

I think that sometimes when we go through bouts of tears and confusion we think we need answers.  We think that God telling us the answers to our "whys" is going to make everything better.  I'm realizing, though, that God is really the best Father ever.  I believe He knows that sometimes the response to our questions will only lead to more questions, or even an argument.  If we're honest with ourselves, how many times does the answer from an authority that we disagree with ever just fix everything?  Sometimes it does, but not often.  Especially in areas of hurt.  We, I, are very short-term minded.

And I think sometimes God just knows we just need a hug.  Not a booming voice to counter our desperateness.  Not a response to our deepest fears.  Just a huge, enveloping bear hug.  I realized in that moment of stillness and quiet that it wasn't that God wasn't there; God was listening.

Like a best friend, God- the creator of the heavens- was listening....to ME.  Man He's good.

As we've been on this journey of foster care and now transitioning into missionary life it's becoming more and more obvious that God knows what we need.  He knows mine and Noah's personal desires; He also knows what's best for us.

For all of us, actually.  For YOU.  He knows whats best.  It can sound so cheap and trivial "God knows what's best".  But I'm living through the reality of that statement.  I don't know why this is best, but I do know that I've never felt closer to the Lord in my life.

I heard a woman (I wish I could remember her name!) this afternoon say something extremely wise about a prayer she uttered to God about a sacrifice she was making to become a missionary.  She said the prayer was not a "want to" prayer, but a "willing" prayer.  She told God that if leaving her home country and putting her own family's life in danger was what needed to happen so that all people could respond to His great love, that she was willing to let that happen.  She was willing to endanger her and her family's very lives... and while she didn't want that to happen, she was willing.

That got to me.  I have been so scared to let go of my desire to adopt or to have a family while we move to Mexico.  I have been so scared that if I tell God I'm willing to not have children for a season, that He'll just take me up on the offer.  That is NOT the God I serve!  That is NOT the God of the universe.  That certainly isn't the God thats hugging me and listening to my deepest hearts cries.

Here's the point:  God is for us.  He is for YOU.  He is for me.  Surrendering to Jesus doesn't mean giving up; it's actually quite the opposite.  You're not giving up, you're giving it over to the One who is more able than you to bring it to fruition.


"The Lord will work out His plans for my life- for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever.  
Don't abandon me, for you made me."  Psalm 138:8


Comments

  1. Thank you Mel! This was beautiful true. I love your honesty, it is sobering. I am praying for you both. I will be sending the hugs through words, wishing I was hugging at church on Sunday.
    Love you,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Mel! It's funny, you write like you talk so I could totally see you saying all of this! Thanks for your candor and for being REAL! I have my own whys but God is faithful. Mike and I continue to pray for both of you. We miss you already!
    Love, Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Could Have Missed This

A little over two years ago we resigned as associate pastors as we pursued the next “job” that God had for us: missionaries to Mexico.   K-man reunited with his bio family and a week later we left for a month of training in Missouri. Our goal was to have our budget to leave for Mexico raised in a year, so we closed the door to fostercare.   It didn’t fit in our timeline.   We had always been open to private adoption, but the expenses of that were too great with the daunting assignment of raising money for Mexico as well.   So, we surrendered our hopes of starting a family anytime soon. However, we decided to call our case worker and let them know that we wanted to stay in the system for a “miracle adoption”... an adoption where both parents had surrendered rights and we would be able to adopt before we left.   We told them that we didn’t expect for this to happen but just wanted to leave our hat in the ring, so to speak.   Being that we had moved to a new apartment

The Greatest of These

"Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him." John 13: 3-5 Being that Noah and I travel to different churches every Sunday, we have the opportunity to have a lot of conversations about foster care.  We typically get the same questions that the majority of foster parents get.  Questions like, “How do you give them back?” “Doesn’t it just break your heart?” “Don’t you get so attached?”.  The inquiries are usually followed with ending statements like “I could never do it.”  “I would get too attached.” “It would be too hard for me to let go”.  (PLEASE note this is not a post to guilt anybody into foster care.  That’s not how things are done, and that’s not my heart.  Ju